CORONAVIRUS: How to request support from volunteers if you are self-isolating in Northamptonshire and need help.

Who can request support?

You should be self-isolating if you:

  • are over 70
  • have existing health conditions; or
  • are pregnant

Northamptonshire County Council are working to try to support people in these categories, in partnership with district and borough councils, voluntary organisations and volunteers in the community.

What support can you request?

If you are self-isolating due to the Coronavirus situation and have no other forms of support, you can contact us to request help with:

  • Urgent food deliveries
  • Prescription medication collection (delivered by our staff or district/borough council employees)
  • General support with loneliness
  • Help to get online
  • Posting mail

How do I request support?

Call 0300 126 1000 and select Option 5 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).

How does it work?

When we receive your request we will pass your details to your local borough or district council who will match you with local volunteers or voluntary organisations.

They will respond to you directly within 48 hours of you contacting us.

The volunteer will confirm with you:

  • what help you need
  • any special dietary or medical requirements you may have
  • how you will pay
  • a date and time for your delivery

We cannot guarantee that you will be offered help but we will do our best to make sure you do.

Urgent requirements

Please be aware that we will prioritise people in urgent need of food.

​If you are in urgent need of food, we will check if:

  • you are already on the list of high risk people who need to be shielded
  • we can access anyone living close
  • you can make use of local food banks
  • your District or Borough Council can assist by putting you in touch with a volunteer in your area or a voluntary organisation


What about people with more serious health conditions?

The Government has tried to contact all shielded people and asked them to contact a call centre or register on a government website if they need support with any essential shopping or medication. Those that have said they need help will receive help directly from the Government based on their registration form.

This group includes:

  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

If you were contacted and haven’t yet registered for help you can still do this on the Gov.UK website or by phoning 0800 028 8327.

If you need help with a food delivery, and have received an NHS letter, please make sure you contact the number provided to arrange this.

If you are in an at-risk group but haven’t received a letter, please contact your GP surgery to request that you are added on the register.​

Click here for full details of this announcement


Leave a Reply