Jennifer Dancer has kindly supplied this photograph of her great grandfather Albert Henry Smith, headmaster of Sulgrave School before and during the Great War 1914-18. The photograph was taken in 1913 and shows him seated outside the School House with his wife Ellen (née Malin) and four daughters Helen Jessie, Dora Amy, Edith Abigail and Lilian.
Helen and Dora went on to become teachers themselves whilst Lilian became a library assistant at ‘Boots the Chemist’.
This photograph will be placed in the website photographic archive under “The Village School” and the information provided by Jennifer enables the updating of the captions to the early photographs in this section, where the headteacher named as “Pippit” is clearly Albert Henry Smith, as can be seen from this example from about 1917:
Sadly, the school closed in 1991, one hundred and four years after it opened. Both the original school building and the school house are now private dwellings.